The 1637 Battle of Mystic---Massacre or Fiasco?

Dr. Jack Dempsey Dr. Jack Dempsey

The 1637 Battle of Mystic---Massacre or Fiasco?

As you may know, UCONN archaeologist Dr. Kevin McBride and a team of scientists---working toward Federal Battlefield designation and recognition---have re-opened investigations of the 1637 Battle of Mystic between New England colonists and the Pequot and other Native tribes. Dr. McBride is a model of the open scientific mind, and last summer I spent a full day with him and his team, who graciously showed me some of their findings so far. Their central position is that the small English force under Captains Mason and Underhill were, in fact, able to march undetected to a position close to Mystic, and that from there they were able to attack and accomplish most of what the colonial sources claim. On the other hand, this website's detailed study called "MYSTIC FIASCO" works to show that such an undetected approach was impossible, and that this fact should create a deep new skepticism about every detail of what actually happened. What do you think?