465th BG photo

ZaneAdams ZaneAdams

465th BG photo

Hello,

My uncle was a pilot in the 465th BG/ 783rd BS based at Pantanella AFB, Italy. His "regular" airplane was "Blue Q", the airplane had no nose art, just a Q on the fuselage.
I have been on the lookout for a photo of a 465th BG B-24 with the letter Q. Low and behold I found one on your page. The only one that I have found.

Can you tell me where this photo originated? Do you have a larger copy of it?

Thanks
Zane Adams
Dr. Jack Dempsey Dr. Jack Dempsey

Re: 465th BG photo

Hello Zane! Sincere apologies for taking so long to respond---Guess I hadn't checked in awhile, because while my 15th AAF page gets lots of daily visitors, almost nobody posts anything. So I'm grateful and here's more info:

Not sure which photo of the 465th's "Q" that you refer to---but I think it's the black/white image about 4/5 down the whole page, where you see "Q's" aft/tail section (with a "Mickey" dome in its belly) at left and, behind it at right, another B24 going down trailing a very large long flame.

Now, move your computer mouse over the photo and the caption tells the photo source. Early on my page, you find the source's full info:   Michael Hill & Betty Karle's definitive 'The 464th Bomb Group in World War II: In Action Over the Third Reich with the B-24 Liberator' (Atglen PA: Schiffer Military History 2001). Hill & Karle detail every mission, including a 50-page "464th Photo Album" from operations-aspects to dozens of crew-photos and a "Life at Pantanella" gallery. Highly recommended.

Hope this helps, and again my apologies for delay! Glad to share your pride in these great people and what they did.....Jack D